Present Continuous Tense:




+ is/am/are + verb + ing                  He is living in Thailand.

      _    is/am/are  not + verb + ing           I am not living in Thailand. 

     ?     is/am/are       Are they living in Thailand?

                                                                 


 We use the Present Continuous Tense:

* to talk about temporary situations:

 I am studying really hard for my exams.

My cousin is living in Thailand at the moment. (He doesn't normally live there).

Words like at the moment, currently, now, this week/ month/ year/are often used.


* to talk about actions happening at the moment of speaking:

      I am waiting for my friends.


* to talk about  trends or changing situations:

      The internet is making it easier for people to stay in touch with each other.

      The price of petrol is rising dramatically.


  • To talk about things that happen more often than expected, often to show envy or to criticize with words like always, constantly, continually, forever.

          My mum always saying I don't help enough! ( Complaint).

          He is always visiting exciting places!. ( Envy).


State verbs:

 The Present Continuous is not normally used with State Verbs because the meaning of the verb itself is a General truth rather than something temporary. These words describe thoughts, feelings, senses, possession, and description. 

 Here are some examples of State  Verb: 

 *Thoughts:

  agree, belief, disagree, forget, hope, know, regret, assume,  remember, suppose, think, understand. 

    I assume you are too busy to play computer games.

* Feelings: 

 adore, despise,  dislike, enjoy, feel, hate, love, mind, prefer,  want.

   Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?

   I love music.

*Senses: 

 feel, hear, smile, taste.

 This  Pudding smells delicious.

* to talk about something happening now  we use  can:

 I can smell something burning.


* Possession:

 Have, own, belong.

 My parents own a restaurant.


 *Description: 

 affair, contain, look, look like, mean, resemble, seem, smell, sound, taste, weigh.

 You look like your mother. ( A permanent situation, not a temporary one)




* Some State Verbs can be used in the Continuous form when the meaning is temporary.

 Compare:

 What are you thinking about? ( now)

 I think you should tell her exactly what happened. ( my opinion, so not temporary).


 I am tasting the sauce to see if it needs any more salt.

 The sauce tastes delicious.


 She is having a great time. ( is having= is experiencing, not  possession)

 Students don't generally have much money.(  have=  possession).